Please wait...

Access permit approval documentation

Documents required for one to access plant, animal and genetic resources

The following documents are required for one to access plant, animal and genetic resources

1.Researchers Pass (RP)
A researcher’s pass enables non-resident researchers to undertake research in the country. It is issued by the Department of Immigration Services in accordance with Kenya Citizenship and Immigration Act, 2012
2. Research Licence (RL)
This is a licence issued to a person intending to undertake genetic research in Kenya. It is issued by the National Commission for Science, Technology and Innovation (NACOSTI) in accordance with Science, Technology and Innovation Act, 2013.
3. Prior Informed Consent (PIC)
This is a written document given by a genetic resource provider (individual, corporate, community or lead agency) to indicate permission of access to genetic resources or associated intangible components. This is one of the documents that are used by NEMA to process the access permit.
4. Mutually Agreed Terms (MAT)
MAT refers to a negotiated agreement reached between the providers of the genetic resource and the users subject to the conditions of access and use of the resources and also indicates the benefits agreed to be shared among the parties. The MAT should be signed by the providers and in case the provider is a community it should be witnessed by a lead agency or NEMA. The applicant must submit MAT before the application is processed.
5. Access Permit:
An access permit is a written authority issued by NEMA to allow a person (individual or corporate, NGOs and institutions) to access Genetic Resources and or associated knowledge. It is not transferable and is specific to the specific material applied for and the intended use. Foreigners are however required to comply with the relevant immigration requirements.
6. Material Transfer Agreements (MTA) (Export Permit).
An MTA is a mandatory document between the Government of Kenya (relevant agencies) and a researcher allowing him or her to transfer or export plant or animal resources.


    What other license would the local community be keen to see to allow access to genetic resources within your locality?